John Farrow and Richard Ball founded the company in 1946. They met while working at a local clay pit and later went on to build their first factory in Dorset, England. They invested in making paint using age-old production methods, with natural minerals and high levels of rich pigment, still being used today.
In the early 1990s Historical Decorator Tom Helme and Martin Ephson took over the running of the company. They began to branch out by developing a range of National Trust paints, working closely with historical buildings, and helping to restore them with colours sympathetic to their eras.
Today, Farrow & Ball products are widely used in conservation and restoration in the United Kingdom.